On Saturday 20 April 2002 22:22, you wrote:
> I am trying to set up a dual boot system
> (linux only).  I added a second hard drive (a
> 40G Maxtor) to my system so I could install
> the alternate distro's.
>
> My first drive (/dev/hda) is an 8.4G Western
> digital.  It has MD8.1 installed on it.
>
> /dev/hda4 Swap
> /dev/hda5 /
> /dev/hda7 /home
> /dev/hda6 /var
>
> I installed the second drive (/dev/hdd) and
> loaded MD8.2.
>
> /dev/hdd1 /boot
> /dev/hdd5 /
> /dev/hdd6 /home
> /dev/hdd7 Swap
> /dev/hdd8 /var
>
> The boot flag is set on /hdd and I had MD8.2
> install its LILO on this drive.  On the first
> drive, I added the following to LILO:
>
> other=/dev/hdd1
>       label=MD8.2
>
> When I try to boot MD8.2 to, I get the
> following error:

> Error 0x01
> boot: MD8.2
>
> Can someone tell me what I need to do to make
> this work?
>
> Barry

First off I have no experience without a windows partition where lilo goes in
MBR

Second, shouldn't the second hard drive be hdb1, hdb5, hdb6,hdb7,hdb8
and not hdd1 etc.

Thirdly, when you constructed lilo did you take care to ensure that the
correct kernel version and initrd files went with the correct OS your're
trying to boot. this is most important.Take time to go over all the entries
making sure that the label,kernel version, initrd image file, append= line
are all correct for each OS.

Fourth, even though you have two swap partitions, it is not actually
necessary, it is best to have one large swap partition about 1 1/2 X the
size of your memory positioned about half way into your hard drive.That
aids data flows.

Fith, I think It is ok to have /boot partition on second hard drive. and you
have it as your first partition, size ought to be enough to install at least 3
kernels(they seem to average somewhere around 13MB or so each) in
case you should want to try an experimental kernel at some time without
having to remove one to get it in.I tend to have 100MB just for goot measure.

So, I suspect you merely have to learn how to get the lilo stanza for
each OS right then all will boot correctly.

I am not sure how you remove lilo in an all mandrake box, I do mine
with a dos switch  ,  fdisk /mbr because mine is installed in MBR of windows.
but if possible remove it and reinstall a new lilo via DrakX install -expert
mode-update- and do not select any new packages when you get to
lilo install proceed accordingly.
Alternatively if you do have a desktop in at least one of your chosen
mandrake OS's then go to /etc/lilo.conf with a text editor and
remake the stanzas save and exit, not forgetting to run/sbin/lilo
to check all is well before rebooting.

Finally here are two simple examples of lilo stanzas,adapt yours
accordingly.

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.8-19mdk
        label=linux-8.1
        root=/dev/hdb7