Sure - send it on down.  I'll try anything.  I'm sure I rebooted at
least once during the cycle of try this - try that, but maybe not when
everything was supposedly in place.  I'll play some more including a
reboot.

The error consists of words to the effect that the nvidia kernel module
failed to load.  I was getting an error on the GLX part, but a
remove/reinstall fixed that.

thanks and regards
Brian