On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:00:35 -0500
"Josh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am trying to install Mandrake 8.2 onto my system to make a dual boot sytem with
>Win XP.
> I put the CD in and restart and start the install. But I get this error:
>
> Unable to handle Kernel paging request at virtual address 00030002
>   printing eip:
> c02195e6
> *pde=00000000
> Oops:0000
> CPU:    0
> EIP:     0010:[<c02195e6>] Not tainted
> EFLAG6:  00010292
>

> <0>Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>

> I am running:
> Athlon XP 1800+
> 256MB PC2700
> Via KT333
> GeForce 4 MX 440
>
> I am very new to linux, and I dont know what to do. Any help will be apreciated.
> Thanks.

Well, I don't have a solution :/ But I'm pretty sure you _can_ dual boot with
ML8.2 on your hardware!

Idea 1: did you check the md5sum's of the download's?
Idea 2: did you burn the CD's with at most a 4X speed?
Idea 3: can you use an alternative CD-ROM drive to test correct reading from
the first CD?

Another possibility is to boot from the _second_ CD, IIRC this works on some
hardware.

I hope someone from this list is able to help you you.

If not, I'm sure people on the Mandrake expert list would like to get ML8.2
working on your hardware. An 'oops' and 'kernel panic' sound serious :) HTH
and good luck!

    -Frans