One thing you might try if you want to know what is or isn't on your hard
drive is: 'whereis' . Locates the binary, source, and manual page files
for a command. Or if you like the "GUI way", Kpackage has the find file
option. But if the file you're searching for is installed from tarball
kpackage won't find it because the rpm-database consists of info about
installed rpms only.

Cheers,
J.

--
         In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
                                      -- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

8<