On Fri, 3 May 2002, Barran, Richard wrote:

> I HAVE to use Windows 8 hrs a day in the workplace - does that make me an
> idiot?
> I use Win98 at home - no Linux CD-burner comes close in quality to Nero
> Burning Rom. Does that make me an idiot?
>
> Signatures such as 'all Windows users are idiots' are actually very useful.
> They are a good way to spot a reply to a newbie's question that will start
> with a 'first of all, you shouldn't be using the GUI' and end with a 'RTFM'
> :-)
>
> Richard
>
> PS Bank holiday coming up in England - 3-day weekend, LM8.2 installation
> disks at the ready!

Richard,

of course that doesn't make you an idiot. and I always got the impression
that the newbies that begin with "first of all" and end with "RTFM" have
the mistaken impression that if they appear abusive towards windows users
then they'll be more quickly accepted into a mistakenly perceived clique.
personally I find this behavior mildly amusing, but it send a message
about those that they're watching and listening to. it also causes me to
ask myself if maybe I'm presenting the wrong image of what a real Linux
user is and should be. KNow what I mean?

And I feel your pain having to use windows 8 hours a day. I too must
endure the same. it wouldn't be so bad if I could use win2K or XP instead
of win98. there are days when I can't get anything done because the
macnhine just won't play nice.

--
daRcmaTTeR