On Monday 06 May 2002 13:17, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was chatting with my dad the other night about his adventures
> with Windows XP.  He starts out with "Man, I hate Microsoft!"
>
> :-D
>
> Ok, so now what?  I mentioned Mandrake to him and he seems
> interested... However, I don't know where to point him.  What
> applications should I suggest?  And for support, should I just
> point him to this list?  He knows just enough to be dangerous
> (would "Interactive Bastille" help with that? - you know, something
> to protect yourself from yourself)...  Unfortunately he doesn't
> live local so I couldn't set it up for him (unless somehow over the
> net?).   I'm very much a newbie to this operating system, and Linux
> and general.  But if you have any ideas how to help the process of
> a 50 year old Dad interested in a Microsoft alternative, please let
> me know.  Thanks!

Well Tommy,

I'm older than your dad, and I only owned a computer for the first
time just over 2 years ago, and not only that, but I managed to get
into linux as well, which means that , if I can do it, he can too,
and I would not be supprised to learn that he became better at it
than you.

Tell him to start with either downloading the  3 no. ISO CD files
from mandrake website,then burn them to CD,or buy the same from
Mandrake store where they come in a box with some usful install
advice in the form of a book,  then get him to join the newbie
website , and ask how to proceed.

John
--
John Richard Smith