On Thursday 09 May 2002 11:28 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> On Thursday 09 May 2002 08:56, you wrote:
> > Thanks for the help Bascule.
> >
> > I have all the time in the world to do this properly. So please
> > read my lilo.conf (below) and see if it looks ok to you first. I
> > copied vmlinuz-2.2.15-4mdk across from hdb5 /boot to hda2 /boot. If
> > i understand you correctly this may not be necessary. I thought as
> > LILO was in hda2 /boot vmlinuz had to be there as well.
>
> Well you have windows as hda1 therefore lilo goes in MBR of windows.
> Therefore in the Civileme method of dual booting,  your kernels and
> initrd for both Linux OS's go in the /boot directory of, which ever
> is the active /boot directory, of the two Linux OS's , usually the
> last one to install. In your case , either hda2 or hdb5, from your
> description I think it is hda2.

That's the crux of it John. I have read Civileme's method of dual booting as
well. But i had no initrd in 7.1's /boot directory. I am unsure if this was
because i used grub as bootloader for 7.1 or not.
> The first line of your lilo.conf entry ,boot=/dev/hda, says that lilo
> is in the MBR of windows and that you have a chain loader situation,
> where Lilo comes up first , where you choose either to directly boot
> either of you linux OS's or pass it on to windows to boot windows OS.
>
> > I have the boot floppy which came in the 7.1 box set. I don't need
> > one to rescue 8.2.
>
> Very unlikely it will work at all, I find that once you have altered
> in any way the layout of your hard drive ,boot floppies have to be
> remade immediately,something we all forget to do, from desktop when
> you get there.

The boot floppy for 7.1 will work to start the 7.1 CD. From there i can go
into rescue mode and mount hdb5 (the 7.1 partition). But it would be nice to
start 7.1 from the LILO options.

--
Michael