Hi Ed,

>> Dave, when you get the text screen don't do anything, wait a minute and it
>> should continue to boot to the graphical login screen.
>> That text screen is not the last thing to pop up.  Give it a minute and see
>> what happens. HTH

Ok ... gave several minutes, made a cup of tea, gave a few more and
decided this wasn't the problem. Thanks 'tho.

e> its also worth noting that you may not see any "return" or "echo" of some
e> digits when you login with the password. just type it correctly and hit
e> ehter.

Yes, I have got this far and after entering user and pass I get this:

[condyk@localhost condyk]$

What does this mean?

I then wait a further several minutes ... nothing. Press enter, get
the same message.

I actually am thinking my HD is knackered, as it takes for ever to
boot even this far and clicks now and again!! But why wouldn't I at
least be able to boot, 'tho slowly?

With best wishes,

Dave

--
David Conroy MSW
Consultant, Trainer & Management Coach

Voluntary sector support: http://www.coaching-lab.com
Coaching via e-mail: http://www.e-coaching-only.com
Coaching for women: http://www.womens-life-coach.com
Web development/hosting: http://www.turnkey-coach.com

ICQ 127865569  Phone/Fax +44 (0)1225 314694