On Monday 13 May 2002 7:23 am, Beastie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just installed new 8.2 from Linux Format DVD.
>
> My machine is a Pentium II 350MHz that I would like to install as
> Firewall/Router
> DNS Server
> SMB server (File Server for networked Windows machines)
> Print Server.
>
> I used to have another machine running Windows 2000 Server that served the
> above purposes, the problem was that the machine was constantly under
> attack and in the end was defeated and became unusable.
>
> I hope that by installing Linux, I could get away with some of the problems
> I was facing.
>
> After installing 8.2 I setup DNS and Firewall, these work fine. But not
> Samba, I can see the Samba server when browse Network Neighbourhood only
> when I click to open this server the error was "Network path not found".
>
> I tried to set system security to lower level, thinking that these might be
> the problem but to no avail.
>
> What can I do now ?

Well first you made a good choice when you decided to switch to Linux  :-)

Two suggestions
1/ Are you trying to run Samba through the 'protected' interface on your
Firewall? If so you need to poke a few holes in it for Samba. This article
tells you how to do it on the command line
http://www.mandrakeforum.org/article.php?sid=1467&lang=en
If you install the InteractiveBastille pack you can get a little GUI to do
the configuration for you.

2/ Did you configure any directories for Samba to share? An easy way to set
up Samba is to use Webmin. Install webmin rpm and then in a browser on the
local or a  remote computer enter https://hostname_or_IP_address:10000
(Note https not http) Also Samba must know about the Windows
username/passwords which are allowed to access directories. Again you can set
this up with webmin.
If you prefer a command line setup then just read the samba config file
/etc/samba/smb.conf  It contains lots of example configurations you can just
uncomment.

HTH

derek