On Sunday 12 May 2002 19:10, you wrote:
> i don't have a dvd so i'm guessing but maybe you have some dvd
> specific prog loading at bootup that requires /etc/dvd in which
> case devfs may not necessarily create it for you, assuming that
> there is no /dev/dvd try making a link from there to /dev/scd0 or
> whichever is the dvd, as root: #cd /dev
> #ln -s scd0 dvd
>
> you could instead make a link to the correct device under /dev/scsi
> that devfs creates but that stuff is still confusing me!
>
> bascule
Thanks,
You were right again Bascule,
Of course, I have Xine,(haven't yet succeded to get ogle to work)
I went to load the files and it refused.
Instead I did,

]#ln -s scd0 /dev/dvd

Immediately loaded the dvd files and now reboots cleanly.

Only question now is how do I correct my faux pas
I mean the   ]#ln -s hdc dvd
                 ]#ln -s scd0 dvd
                 ]#ln -s scd1 dvd ,
is it easy to remove them. perhaps they don't do any harm anyway.

regards,

John

--
John Richard Smith