I am using a Creative PCI 128 sound card with Mandrake 8.1. When the
system boots, sound does not work. The example error message below is
from xmms, but the problem is not limited to xmms.

Couldn't open audio.
Please check that:
1. You have the correct output plugin selected
2. No other program is blocking the sound card
3. Your sound card is configured properly.

If I then go into HardDrake and configure the sound, it works. However,
next time I boot, it once again does not work, and once again I can
restore it with Hard Drake, but it does not stick between boots.

Thanks for any advice.