> What would be the simplest way to do a recording using the line in on my
> soundcard? I'm using 8.2 with a SBLive 5.1 Platinum (with Live!Drive, but

You'll likely need a 1/8" male-to-male stereo adapter cable (the stereo
nes have two rings on the 'business' end of the cable AFAIK) and plug
one in to the sound card and the other to the line out jack on the
source. Most stereo stores (radio shack for instance) will stock most
adapter cables.

Use a gui mixer (kmix for instance) to experiment and set levels etc.
'rec' is about as good as any for recording audio; all you have to do
is set the # channels and file type, and then record -- hit ctrl-C to
finish the recording. Use a 'temp' file (i like wowie). The neat thing
is that you can simply recall the last 'rec' command used in the shell
if you need to do repeated trials.

There are some OK editing s/w packages out there (I've used mxv with
some succuss) but I'd just play with rec (and play) now - once you got
the recording down pat you can play with the editing stuff.