On Saturday 18 May 2002 02:26, you wrote:
> On Friday 17 May 2002 17:50, Carroll Grigsby opened a general hailing
>
> frequency and transmitted to all open stations:
> > Actually, Derek, it's worse than that. From what I've been reading at
> > www.theregister.co.uk, it seems that the UK government is setting up
> > their web sites so that you will not be able to access them unless you
> > are using MicroSoft products. AFAIK, that is not a requirement here. Yet.
> > (Question: Do the UK versions of MS software packages carry Royal
> > Appointment logos like the ones on Bass Ale?)
>
> you will need passport i am sure.  since MS just signed up all their
> passport users for spam lists, i am sure we are all happy to hear that....

Yes indeed ;-)

I have learned a lot from this thread and others on this list, believe me.

I'd never fully understood the implications from just reading "The Register"
which I have linked on my homepage and is read daily.

This thread (and others) has increased my understading of the insidious
behaviour of M$ leading me to believe matters are far worse than I originally
estimated some while back.

I noticed that on the XP installed on this dual boot system I was continually
berated with a request to sign up for the passport thingy??? without knowing
the full reasons behind it.

I spend the majority or my time now in Mandrake-Linux and am all the more
pleased to be doing so, expanding my knowledge of things both technical and
just downright provacative/interesting on what must be one of the most
entertaining and informative and helpful lists there is.

--
Derek