On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 19:01, Dave Conroy wrote:
> Hi Derek, and others
>
> Well, at the final hour just as I was about to kick Mandrake into the
> 'can't be bothered trash can' I tried the 'hid' thing that Derek
> pointed me to and it worked ... this was the third time I'd tried mind
> you!
>
> So, spent a bit of time in the company of Mandrake and got to like it
> ... not up to the standard of Mac OSX, but as certainly could use it
> over Win2000. Now I just need to get my Alcatel ADSL modem working ...
> think I need to download and save to floppy or CD in Windows and then
> open Linux and install. I will shout if I get stuck.
>
> Meanwhile, thanks a bunch. Brilliant support!
>
> With best wishes,
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Welcome!  Sounds like you had a "baptism of fire", but it all builds
character ;-)

To get your ADSL going, all you should need is to install

ppp-2.4.1-3mdk
rp-pppoe-gui-3.3-2mdk
rp-pppoe-3.3-2mdk

all of which are on your distro disks.  Then just type:

adsl-setup

as root in a console and answer some questions.

Finally, enter the domain info of your provider in /etc/resolv.conf
like:

search my.providers.domain
nameserver ip-of-primary-dns
nameserver ip-of-secondary-dns

and you are done.

the command start-adsl should then bring it up.

HTH
Brian