Mandrake has produced i386 versions for previous releases, and I suppose
they may do so for 8.2, but it gets harder each time.  In theory there's
nothing to stop you compiling the whole distribution from source, but of
course doing that on a 486 would take forever, not to mention a larger
hard disk than a 486 would have.

As for Star Office, Carroll's right; in fact she's understating.
Running it on aything less than a 300MHz processor and 128MB RAM would
try most people's patience, and to get the kind of speed you'd be used
to with, say, MS Office, you probably want twice that.  100MHz and 32MB
is possible if you're patient, but don't use SO5.2, which was the
slowest, most bloated thing they ever produced.  OpenOffice 1.0 should
work, though you might consider making coffee while it loads.

If you also have a newer, faster computer, you might consider setting up
your 486 as dumb-but-not-totally-moronic terminal. OpenOffice uses a
kind of client-server model, so I think you could have your main
installation on your big fast machine, then install the client-side
stuff on your 486.

Sir Robin