Derek Jennings wrote:

> It looks like you have missed out a few steps.
> The simplest way to configure Samba is to use 'Webmin' If it not already
> running install the webmin rpm and then in a browser url enter
> https://localhost:10000   (note https  !!)  accept the certificate you are
> presented with and log on as username root.
>
> In webmin select
>
> Servers>SambaWindows File sharing>ConvertUnix users to Samba users  (at
> bottom of page)
> Select convert users then Edit users.  Delete any user which got converted
> you did not want, and for any user you do want edit them and select 'new
> password' and give them the password Windows users must offer when trying to
> access a share.

> created before is listed then edit it, if not create a new shared folder.
> Select if the folder is browsable, and also set up any security you desire on
> that folder. (Might be a good idea to start with little security until you
> get it working)
>
> BTW: The special share called 'homes' will make the home directory of any
> user who logs into Samba shared.

> enter the correct windows workgroup name
>
> Now go back to 'Samba share Manager' and restart samba (botton of page)
> Your Samba shares should now be visible to windows machines, and the
> passwords should be accepted.
>

> To see the Windows computers in Linux I recommend komba2  It gives you a GUI
> very like 'Network Neughbourhood' in Windows. Any folder you mount using
> komba2 will appear in konqueror at ~/komba/
>
> HTH
>
> derek
>

> On Monday 27 May 2002 11:34 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>>Running on Mdk 8.2, in a triple boot with W2K and Win98.
>>
>>If I am to progress at all I must be able to work while the rest of the
>>family are on the LAN.  That is, 1 W2K m/c and 2 Win98 m/cs.  I need to
>>share a FAT32 directory, identified in Linux as /mnt/win_d2/Public, and
>>to make my m/c the gateway for ICS.
>>
>>I requested Samba and ICS when installing, so I'm fairly sure all
>>necessary services will be installed.
>>
>>I have created users on my Linux partition, giving them the same name
>>and password as they use on the Win m/cs.  I have entered Samba
>>passwords.  Then, using Micky's PC for testing, I checked to see what
>>was happening.
>>
>>I can see Anne_linux in Network Neighbourhood.  Clicking on it shows me
>>my 2 CUPS printer setups and a folder called Homes.  Clicking on this
>>asks for a password - and I can go no further.
>>
>> From my Linux screen I can see Micky/Public from Control Centre/Mount
>>Points.
>>
>>1)  What did I do wrong?
>>
>>2)  How should I have entered Micky into the Samba Users Config. file?
>>I just put 'Micky = Micky users', assuming that it had something to do
>>with the groups she belongs to.  If it is, do I need to add all the groups?
>>

>>3)  If I try to see Micky/Public under Konq I get 'cannot connect to
> [...]

Fell at the first fence!  I logged in as root, located Webmin on the
DVD, installed the four failed dependencies, then installed webmin.
Fired up Mozilla, typed in https://localhost:10000 and got back error
message

connection refused trying to connect to localhost:10000

or words to that effect.

What did I forget?

Anne