On Thu, 30 May 2002 16:00, db wrote:
> Working with Redhat 5.2 & Fvfm, I have a ton of files in a folder that I
> copied (as root) from a CD.
>
> I need to reset the rw and perhaps ownership attributes en mass so that the
> files can be written to and worked with by other users.
>
> I know this is basic but could anyone clue this newbie in?

first off, open a terminal window.

type "man chmod"

Have a read of that.

if you are not the owner of the files you may want "man chown" and "man
chgrp" as well. If root (or someone else) is the owner then "su" is your
friend also.

Then you want a command set something like:

# cd /home/your_name/your_directory/where_the_files_are
# chmod -R 0640 *

or "0740" for executables

This is a common import from fat32 problem.

Hope this makes sense.
--
Michael