Alastair Scott wrote:
> (Of course, much of this is down to politics and dogmatism - the IS
> people justifying themselves by having a slightly customised version of
> Windows, jealously guarded and only installable from password-protected
> shares after fussing around with boot floppies, to stop people
> installing it themselves and rendering their job irrelevant).

Isn't that one (almost) everyone does -- do things in the interest of
keeping their job regardless of the relationship to the basic objective
of the job?

I mean, isn't that what copyright, patents, trade secrets, etc. are all
about?

Isn't that what the RIAA and so forth are fighting about?

Isn't that why there are laws in most american towns about who can be a
barber / hairdresser, and who can and cannot buy hair dressing tools /
supplies?

Isn't that what Microsoft is trying to do?  And IBM, HP, Sun, Solaris,
Apple, ...?

Isn't that why we have millions of lines (pages?) of laws?

Isn't that what farm subsidies are all about?

Don't welfare workers want to continue to have clients?

Don't drug enforcers want drug traffickers?

Is there an alternate approach?

just today's cynical $.02
Randy Kramer