On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 23:46:38 +1000, Fordy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Im having some trouble putting icons on my desktop. My desktop has no
> icons whatsoever on it, and it doesn't have a pop-up menu when i right
> click on it. In fact there seems to be nothing I can do to change the
> desktop, or add any icons to it. Advice i've tried -
>
>  - Adding shortcuts to ~/.gnome-desktop folder. Nothing Happened
>  - Deleting /tmp/orbit-(username), and then adding stuff to my desktop
> folder. Nothing            happened
>  - Dragging shortcuts from the panel to the desktop. Failure.
>  - Poking around in nautilus menus and gnome configurations, I couldn't
> find anything that         related specifically to the icons on a desktop.
>
> In short, 90% of my normal start up screen is inert, and i can only run
> programs via the panel. Does anyone know of a possible solution I have
> not tried yet?

There should be an option in Nautilus telling it to manage your desktop. You may
need to be in 'Advanced' mode to have it visible. Otherwise, you can load gmc
and use that instead.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"... if you're a basic PC user thinking about buying XP, don't. It's basically
malware. It harangues you with nagging, fake-friendly reminders to obtain a
Passport and submit to product activation, and treats you like a child when you
try to do anything heretical, like install a device driver of which it
disapproves." -- Thomas C. Greene, "Win-XP vs Red Hat 7.2", The Register
(http://www.theregister.co.uk), 2001-10-30.