I decided to install the first set of kde 3.0.1 rpms onto LM8.2 (the ones that
install into /usr).  After uninstalling the previous 3.0 rpms (that install
into /opt) and the 2.2.2 rpms, I discovered that kdm was broken and the
system now defaults to gdm as the login manager.  /usr/bin/kdm is still
installed on the system.

It is my impression that kde3.0.1 launched from gdm is noticibly slower than
3.0 launched from gdm.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Any ideas how to
reactivate kdm?

TIA
Paul