Since KDE 3.0.1 installs into /opt you might be better off reducing the size
of /home and creating a new /opt partition. That way you do not have to touch
'/' and risk screwing it up.

You should be able to do that with diskdrake in Mandrake
ControlCentre>Hardware I've not done it myself, but I believe it will resize
partitions without data loss, but instead of taking my word for it you might
like to back up your /home first.

BTW: My /opt directory holds kde3,wine,crossover and a few other applications
and uses 250M of hard drive space.

Also the next version of Mandrake will put kde3 back into /usr so you might
like to change your partitions again later.

HTH

derek