hi Michael..

The purists need to become realists..

<quote>
It is NOT Mandrakes lack of support for the hardware that needs to be
addressed, but the hardware manufacturers lack of support for linux. As
linux
use expands hardware supporters will be forced to address this problem.
</quote>

Companies like conexant and nvidia spend a ton of money devoloping their
drivers.. they are actually half the product they sell, proof is how much
better an nvidia performs when the first out nvidia driver is replaced by an
optimised one, the performance can be increased by 25 percent..

should they give that "product" source code to open source so ATI can use
any "innovations" in it to improve their own drivers? (and vice versa) ditto
with connexant and lucent..

now I agree that in a perfect world, it would all be open source, but I also
understand these hardware companies whose only dabbling in software is to
write device drivers wanting to keep this stuff under their hat,, (I also
think that in a perfect world, winmodems wouldn't exist either, but thats an
arguement for another day. :-)

I guess a work around for mandrake would be to offer a 4th CD for download
that contains all the free (but not open source) drivers, and when the
install program asks what cd's you have, and you tick the 4th CD box, it
installs the drivers for you..  that way the purists can have their open
source only distro and the rest of us can have hardware that works to its
full potential. (which they sort of do with the powerpack, but like I said,
they charge for that privledge.. so as far as mandrake are concerned, why
should they give it away with the download edition,, it lessens the value of
the powerpack in their minds.)

I very much doubt nvidia will ever release the full source code of their
latest drivers, the best I think we can hope for is they give use the source
to an old obsolete driver, which is still not optimiom performance...(even
that is abit of a pipe dream)

Another sad fact, is that as CPU's get faster, manufacturers are going to
pass more and more stuff over to the main CPU, so software will become more
important and this issue will reappear again and again.

incidently, I have panel beaten my cars and also rebuilt both engines and
trannies.. so thats not an appropriate analogy for me.. but I understand
your point..

but the simple point of the matter is this..
1. Manufacturers will be more willing to release drivers for linux if they
do not need to release the source of their creation. (and the end point is
that a closed source driver that allows use of certain hardware is better
then no driver at all. Proof of which is the numer of people on this list
using the Nvidia drivers)
2. End users don't care about purity or principles or the concieved risk
that a driver could cause stability issues.. they just want their hardware
to work..
3. As with all things in life, this has to be a compromise.. the hardware
guys, and the open source guys need to work on a compromise license for
drivers.. (like for example the source has been examined by open source guys
that have signed a "non disclosure agreement" to not release details of the
source they have viewed, they sign off that there is nothing undesired in
the driver that could compromise security/stability/functionality and the
driver is accepted. its the only way really to get companies like cannon,
epson, HP, Lucent, conexant, Nvidia, ATI etc etc to jump wholly on board and
fully release drivers.. the other thing about open source drivers is this..
drivers can give alot of infomation about the hardware they are for.. if you
had the source to the latest nvidia driver, you could work out pretty much
exactly how a geoforce4 does its thing.. now if you think they are going to
make that info freely available, you might as well go and get your head
read..

the only drivers that get released open source by manufacturers are those
that don't give away any info about the hardware, or the hardare is obsolete
as a money maker, or the hardware is generic and there is no benefit in
keeping the technology secret.

The result is that mainboards like Nforce will always be faster on a
winblows machine because of optimised drivers.
and the gap may end up widening, because those companies will advocate the
use of the OS, that doesn't dictate that they release the software part of
their hardware to open scrutiny.

Its sad, but true, before you critisize a company for only releasing binary
drivers, think about it form their point of view, and also, think about the
many companies that don't get involved in linux drivers at all.. and be
thankful that some of them at least had the vision to release ANY linux
drivers at all, closed source or open.

regards

Frank