You didn't actually need to upgrade gcc.  If you check the configure
options, you'll find the option to --disable-gcc-checking.

Mandrake was very nice to patch their built version of gcc for us.
They've been doing this since 8.0.  The configure script doesn't check
for problems with it, it just checks the version number.  I've been
compiling MPlayer for some time, and each time I've used
--disable-gcc-checking and I've had no problems, bug related that is,
with it since.

With the new versions, make sure you copy the
MPlayer-0.90pre5/etc/codec.conf and MPlayer-0.90pre5/etc/input.conf to
~/.mplayer.  There have been some changes made to it regularly.
tdh

 T. Holmes  |  UNIXTECHS.org  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  UIN:  17021091