On Sun, 2002-06-16 at 00:29, et wrote:
> On Saturday 15 June 2002 10:33 am, you wrote:
> > I'm trying to format a floppy with a dos file system using the command
> > "mkdosfs /dev/hdd" .  I keep getting the error message "mkdosfs: Will not
> > try to make filesystem on '/dev/hdd'".
> > I have a "two drives in one" floppy drive that is detected in harddrake as
> > both hdd and fd0.  It won't mount as fd0 though. I don't know if this is an
> > issue with making the filesystem or not.
> >
> > What I'm trying to do is copy the patch.pl script that I need to install
> > 8.2 to the floppy.  (I have an AMD-K6 processor.) I have tried making the
> > floppy in Windows but the installation fails.
> >
> > Any help appreciated,
> > SW

> also you can not mount a drive that does not have a file system on it. I have
> not run into the need for the patch.pl. what does it do? and who needs it to
> install?

Ed,

That patch is needed when installing on a K6 or P1 system.  See the
errata on 8.2

SW,

It's tough to understand why the patch can't be made to work when copied
to a floppy under windows, but in any case I would hope that it were
possible in Mandrake as well ;-)

Sounds like you may be using a pre-8.2 version with supermount and/or
devfs screwing up your floppy access.  If so, (or maybe even if not) try
this:

1. As root, edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite text editor.
Wherever you see "devfs=mount", make it "devfs=nomount".

2. Still as root, type the command "lilo" (without the quotes)

3. Type the command "supermount -i disable" (without the quotes)

4. Reboot

Now you have devfs and supermount switched off.

As root in a console:

mkdosfs /dev/fd0
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
cp patch.pl /mnt/floppy/

Should work, but note that this will also have changed (fixed?) access
to your CDROM as well.  If you need help with accessing it after, just
post again.

Brian