Hi

I started using mandrake about a week ago. Before
mandrake I used conectiva. Although I have a little
experience with urpm I think it is better than apt.
With urpm you can select from which rpm repositary you
want to download a package without having to edit any
file. Another thing. Let's say you have an apache rpm
package at you home directory. With apt you can't
execute "apt-get install apache" because apt will look
for apache package in the rpm repositary you specified
at the "sources.list". With urpmi you can execute
"urpmi apache-xxxxxxx" and it will install the package
and verify any necessary dependencies.
Also, MandrakeUpdate distinguish what is a security
update from ordinary updates.
Maybe apt have many features that I don't know. But I
can say that the first time I read the urpm man pages
I saw much more features that when I read about apt.

Gustavo

 --- Baka_Attila_Tamás <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> escreveu: >
> >Yes you can use apt-get, but it is dangerous
> without the thorough
> >discipline of the Debian package preparation.
> >

> >You can also use urpmi to much the same effect
> >
> >like put all the packages in one place on the web
> (who cares if the rpms
> >are apt-get capable) do a urpmi.addmedia to
> generate a depslist from it,
> >and
> >
> >urpmi kde3
> >
> >If anything else is needed, it will be called in
> from all the resources
> >you have defined(installation CDs or sites are part
> of that).  qt3 and
> >others will be automatically added as the
> dependencies are recognized.
> >
> >Civileme
> >
> >urpmi was not written to be a Mandrake exclusive,
> but we seem to be the
> >only distro using it as yet.
> >
> >and yes there is rpm-get in the Mandrake distro to
> pull Debian packages.
>
> I do not want to use debian packages with apt! In
> conectiva, I got rpm
> packages with apt-get, that is what i want to
> achieve here. I'll read
> through urpmi's man first though... but the apt
> version of Conectiva seemed
> way more useful than urpmi or mandrake-update. Maybe
> I just need to go
> through it more carefully...
>
> BAT
>

> ---
> Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Date: 2002. 03. 06.
>
> ---
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system
> (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Date: 2002. 03. 06.
>

> > Want to buy your Pack or Services from
MandrakeSoft?

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Yahoo! Encontros
O lugar certo para você encontrar aquela pessoa que falta na sua vida. Cadastre-se
hoje mesmo!
http://br.encontros.yahoo.com/