On Saturday 22 June 2002 17:28, you wrote:

> > Thanks Tom,
> >
> > Your reply has stimulated my thinking, I had noticed various
> > pieces of threads where people were setting up aliases and had
> > thought of perhaps doing something with this device , but my
> > knowledge is a bit lacking. It's obvious that for instance just
> > to use cdrecord for all it's possiblities that it might well
> > require 10 or so aliases, or is there another way of doing it. I
> > wounderd whether it was possible to set up a situation, where you
> > typed cdrecord into a terminal and all the availble choices came
> > up, and you selected one and pressed enter,and the appropriate
> > command line is then run. Just a thought.
>
> Hi John, depends what you are referring to. What choices of
> cdrecord do you want to have? If I recall there aren't so many
> options, or have you managed to get cdrecord to get your groceries
> and wash the car? ;-)
>
> I usually make a bash script for the program choices I want, but I
> have no idea what you mean with cdrecord. Give me a list of what
> you want (not anything you can think of), and I will tell you if
> it's possible with bash.
>
> Greetings
> Ralph
Well, it''s not just cdrecord , but it will do for example, so
within it's capabilities are to my certain knowledge audio, data, ISO
image etc etc, now each one of these headings has a number of
variation, so that shall we take for an instance audio writing,
if I want to write  audio tracks to disc  and this is a multiple
continuous audio track(without gaps) then I use,
cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,1,0 -dao -audio -eject
/homedirectory/tmp/*.wav
this writes the  individual files on my home directory in /tmp.
but if i want to do the same with 2 second gaps gaps  I think it is
slightly different , anyway you get the idea, and so if one can set
up aliases so that they do the full range of whatever commands you
eventually wind up for the cdrecord programme, I think it needs to be
organised in some way. The aim might be to type cdrecord into
terminal, then,
cdrecord - audio, read with gaps,         opt  1
                audio, read without gaps,    opt  2

                audio write with gaps,          opt 3
                audio write without gaps       opt 4
select <type option number>  command runs.
I suppose it's too much really, just floating an idea.
don't take it to seriously.
John
--
John Richard Smith