PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Pacific Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0700
TZOFFSETTO:-0800
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=1SU;BYMONTH=11
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:-0800
TZOFFSETTO:-0700
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=2SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
ORGANIZER;CN=Ramki Krishnan:MAILTO:ram...@vmware.com
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=nfvrg@irtf
 .org:MAILTO:nfvrg@irtf.org
DESCRIPTION;LANGUAGE=en-US:\n\n\nDear All\,\n\nWe would like to invite you
 to an NFVRG interim meeting\, details are below. Please fill the doodle po
 ll (https://doodle.com/poll/bt4nmwqbvdnxy743). In the doodle comment field
 \, please indicate if you are planning to attend in person or join remotel
 y.\n\nThanks\,\nNFVRG Co-chairs (Ramki Krishnan & Diego Lopez)\n\nInterim
 Meeting Theme:             Re-thinking VNF Architectures towards a Cloud-n
 ative Deployment\n\nInterim Meeting Time:                 10:00am to 12:00
 pm Sept. 18th Monday\n\nInterim Meeting Location:\nConf - Creekside C - Da
 rwin (CSC1139)(Seats 72\, Projector)\n900 Arastradero Road\nPalo Alto\, Ca
 lifornia\, 94304\nVMware campus map -- https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vm
 w-directions-to-vmware.pdf\n\nWebex link: https://vmware.webex.com/mw3200/
 mywebex/cmr/cmr.do?siteurl=vmware&AT=meet&username=ramkik\n\nPresentations
 \n\n  *   A New Approach to Network Functions\, Aurojit Panda
                   40 minutes (30 minutes talk + 10 minutes Q&A)\n  *   Bui
 lding a better network through disaggregation\, Eric Keller
     40 minutes (30 minutes talk + 10 minutes Q&A)\n\nBrainstorming Discuss
 ion
                            30 minutes\n\n  *   Progressing this topic in N
 FVRG leveraging current work on lightweight virtualization technologies\n
  *   Progressing this topic in Open Source Efforts such as ONAP\, OSM\, OP
 NFV\, FD.io etc.\n\nAbstract - A New Approach to Network Functions\nModern
  networks do far more than  just deliver packets\, and provide network fun
 ctions -- including  firewalls\, caches\, and WAN optimizers — that are
 crucial for scaling networks\, ensuring security and enabling new applicat
 ions.  Network functions were traditionally implemented using dedicated ha
 rdware middleboxes\, but in recent years they are increasingly being deplo
 yed as VMs on commodity servers. While many herald this move towards netwo
 rk function virtualization (NFV) as a great step forward\, I argue that ac
 cepted virtualization techniques are ill-suited to network functions. In t
 his talk I describe NetBricks — a new approach to building and running v
 irtualized network functions that speeds development and increases perform
 ance.\n\nAbstract - Building a better network through disaggregation\nTo i
 mprove performance\, security\, and reliability\, network practitioners ha
 ve\, over time\, moved away from the principle of a stateless network and
 added stateful processing to the network with devices such as firewalls\,
 load balancers\, and intrusion detection systems. In doing so\, networks h
 ave become increasingly complex and brittle\, because the state held in th
 ese devices (such as the connection tracking information in a firewall) is
  needed to process the traffic. The conventional approach forces practitio
 ners to configure or architect the network to get the right traffic to the
  right (physical or virtual) appliance (i.e.\, where the relevant state is
 )\, and introduce costly\, and sometimes ineffective\, mechanisms to back
 up state (e.g.\, to recover from failures).  In a world where agility is i
 ncreasingly important\, a new approach is needed.\n\nIn this talk\, we pre
 sent our a network architecture based on disaggregated network functions.
 Our foundational work breaks the underlying assumption that state needs to
  be tightly coupled to a specific device\, the state is maintained separat
 ely and the network functions can access that state from anywhere and at a
 ny time through a well-defined interface – creating a highly flexible ne
 twork.  After years of research\, we proved this architecture viable (publ
 ishing the results at NSDI)\, and now we are commercializing at Stateless\
 , Inc.  In this talk we will present the background and technical details
 of this disaggregated architecture\, discuss the challenges we are current
 ly working on\, and the use cases driving the commercial adoption.\n\nAuro
 jit Panda Bio\nAurojit Panda is currently a software engineer at Nefeli Ne
 tworks\, and starting in Fall 2018 an assistant professor in computer scie
 nce at the Courant Institute in New York University. He received his PhD i
 n Computer Science from the University of California\, Berkeley\, where he
  was advised by Scott Shenker.  His work spans programming languages\, net
 working and systems\, and his recent work has investigated network verific
 ation\, consensus algorithms in software defined networks\, and frameworks
  for building network functions.\n\nEric Keller Bio\nEric Keller is co-fou
 nder and CTO of Stateless\, Inc. a spin-off from the University of Colorad
 o\, Boulder where he is also an Assistant Professor. Dr. Keller joined CU
 after receiving a PhD from Princeton\, and generally works on networking a
 nd security\, with special interest in building and leveraging programmabl
 e infrastructures (SDN\, virtualization\, etc.).  Stateless was founded to
  commercialize the research of Dr. Keller and his first PhD student (and n
 ow CEO of Stateless)\, Murad Kablan.  The company is a recent graduate of
 Techstars Boulder\, has grown to a team of 9\, received an SBIR award\, an
 d has two deployments in progress.\n\n\n
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E0080000000030B029A83B29D301000000000000000
 010000000F980AF5E5CEB6B4FA8AC3229AB8DC4A8
SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-US:FW: IETF NFV Research Group (NFVRG) interim meeting
 -- Re-thinking VNF Architectures towards a Cloud-native Deployment
DTSTART;TZID=Pacific Standard Time:20170918T100000
DTEND;TZID=Pacific Standard Time:20170918T120000
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTAMP:20170909T141712Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
STATUS:CONFIRMED
SEQUENCE:12
LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en-US:in person and webex
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-APPT-SEQUENCE:12
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:917084129
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:TENTATIVE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY