I ended up taking it to the local start / alternator rebuilding place here
in Honolulu.  It cost me $200 but was done in about 2 hours.  They replaced
everything they could in the thing.  They gave me a 2 year warranty and my
bike is back on the road.  I]m sure I could have done the rebuild myself
but it would have probably taken me a day and I wouldn't have replaced all
the aprts they did.  It was worth the $200 and I'm back on the road in less
than a day.

Sean