Jim MacDonald wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:27:22 "Glenn Stewart (Arizona)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>Fortunately, they can almost always be rejuvinated by 'cooking' the
>>moisture back out of them. An hour or so in a conventional cooking oven
>>with the temperature set high enough to boil water, but low enough not to
>>set the bag on fire will return them to useable condition.

>Yes, but the reactivation time/temp is approximately 16 hours at 400 deg f.
>Jim

Jim,

Let's see...  'hot enough to boil water but not hot enough to set the bag
on fire', wouldn't that be about 400 degrees F?  And while 16 hours is
surely sufficient, and may be required for really large quantities of
dessicant, the original poster was talking about 200 gram bags. I can't
imagine that it takes 16 hours to cook the moisture out of a mere 3 ounces
of dessicant. The electricity cost for that much cooking time would be
prohibitive in proportion to the job being done. I've heard it suggested
that a microwave oven can be used, but I'd be awfully careful. I don't know
whether the dessicant material itself will become hot from the microwaving
process, or whether the material is non-conductive, and therefore will not
be heated by microwaving, allowing the process to only heat and drive off
the water. If the dessicant itself becomes hot from the microwaving
process, it will become a fire hazard during prolonged heating. If someone
knows where to find such information, please post to the digest.

Best regards,

Stew