> Is there any direct way to compensate TTL flash using an SB26 on an
> FE2? The "M" button does not bring up the compensation function on my
> SB26 when mounted on my FE2.

The only way to compensate TTL flash on the FE2, with any TTL flash, is to
use the exposure compensation dial on the camera.
The TTL flash and exposure compensation system of the FE2 is very basic.
In Auto mode (aperture priority), if no flash is used, the exposure
compensation dial will control the exposure - useful when shooting light
or dark subjects. Changing the exposure compensation dial has exactly the
same effect as changing the film speed setting. The only difference is
that there is a warning light in the viewfinder to remind you to turn off
compensation when you have finished.

If TTL flash is used in Auto mode, the camera fires at the sync speed
(1/250) to minimise any exposure from ambient light. The system is
designed so the whole exposure is due to the flash. In this case the
exposure compensation dial controls the output of the flash.

So the camera is designed for exposure either from 100% natural light, or
100% flash.

This is a problem if when you want to balance the exposure from both
sources of light - fill-flash. In Auto mode you can't really do it.
Fiddling with the exposure compensation or film speed dial (same thing
really) will not achieve fill-flash, because you are trying to balance two
independant light sources with only one control.

I can think of three ways to get fill-flash with the FE2:

1. Use manual flash. You will need to set the power of the flash, aperture
and consider the flash to subject distance to get the right balance of
flash and natural light. This involves some calculation and setting up to
get right. The camera can be set to Auto or manual.

2. Set the flash to TTL and use the exposure compensation dial to control
the output of the flash. You may want to set the compensation to between
-1 and -2 to reduce the flash power, so it is just powerful enough to fill
in the shadows. To control the exposure due to natural light, you need to
set the camera to manual (remember, when TTL flash is used in Auto mode,
the camera always fires at 1/250). The light meter will show a reading
affected by the exposure compensation dial, so you need to counter
compensate to get a normal exposure.

3. Set the flash to Auto so the speedlight generates its own quench
(assuming your flash can do this -  I need a flash like this!) You control
the output of the flash by film speed setting on the flash. You can use
the camera normally. This is probably the easiest method to use, and
assuming the meter built into the flash is accurate, can deliver good
results. Ok, it's hardly 3D matrix balanced flash, but it works!

Hope this helps
Roland.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.ait.ac.nz/staff/rvink/