Les wrote:

>A work colleague has an F2 body for sale (a late model in good condition
>(he says) "with LED's in the viewfinder - rather than the needle meter")
>which he has offered to me at what appears to be a reasonable price. I
>haven't actually seen it yet (and won't until the weekend) so I thought -
>in the meantime - I could utilise the vast resource that is the Digest.

>Can anyone help me out on what model this might be (if not a standard F2),
>the range of production dates of the F2 and advise me of anything I should
>look out for when buying an old F2 (other than issues over its general
>condition). Any sources of printed info on the F2? Or web-sites?

Les,

You can find more info at the following web sites. They're old entries in
my bookmarks, but I just checked them and they're still there.

http://web.mit.edu/mliu/web/ff2

http://rti5501.etf.bg.ac.yu/photo/NIKONF2.HTM

Yours could be one of at least four different models. I have an F2S and an
F2SB. They both have LED's in the viewfinder for metering. I'm not sure
whether the F2A and F2AS have the LED's, but I believe they do.

The F2S and F2SB will accept all Nikon lenses, the F2A and F2AS will only
accept AI (or AI'd) and later lenses.

You'll love the F2. Smooth as silk and tough as nails. I wish Nikon would
resurect it with a few modernizations, like faster flash synch, standard
cable release, hot shoe and a few other modern niceties. The originals are
hard to beat, though.

Best regards,

Stew