> I use the 85 1.4 wide open most of the time due to lighting constraints.
> Vignetting is practically zero, sharpness is very good from corner to
> corner (I use slides for publications. approx. 8x10), perhaps due to
> advanced aspherical design.

Call me fussy, but I hate to see misinformation. The AF 84/1.4 does not
have aspherics. It has internal focusing (IF) and close range correction
(CRC).
The manual version also has CRC, which maintains sharpness from infinity
to closeup, and eliminates the need for expensive aspherics.
Canon's 85/1.2 has aspherics to maintain correction with the faster
aperture.
Roland.