> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:53:19 -0500
> From: Mike Rohde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Power pack for Sb-26/SB-28 [19]
>
> I'm going to be doing a friends wedding next month and I need an
> external power source for my SB-26. I would expect two improvements from
> this power source a. shorter recharge times b. more flashes that from
> internal batteries.
>
> Can anyone suggest a power source. I'd like it to work with an SB-28
> also.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I shoot with AA Alkalines.

I did look at the SB-26 power cord for my Quantum flash
battery.  Quantum has a decent solution for the SB-16, but
(in my opinion) a terrible solution for the SB-26.  So,
I didn't pick one up.

I find alkalines overall the "best" solution.  It's reasonably cheap
when purchased at discount warehouses.  You can easily carry
a second set and the two will more than shoot any wedding.
You don't have to lug an external battery pack, with power
cord.  You won't have to worry about intermittent power when
dealing with a power cord.  I find I wind up changing the AA's
in the camera and flash about four-five times a year.  That's
$12 in batteries for a year.  Cheaper than $100 for a flash
battery and power cord.

I tend to swap out the batteries before such a critical event
as a wedding.  So, it's one less thing to worry about.

Some have suggested using ni-cads or photo lithium batteries
for the higher voltage and lower internal resistance, which
would yield a faster charging time.  I find that incrementally,
I don't need the faster recharging time -- but it may be
something you'll need, tho.  Check the manual for compatibility
with different types of batteries.

I shoot the SB-26 in TTL mode, so the camera doesn't dump the
entire flash charge and the flash recharges fast.  If you shoot
the flash in manual mode, you'll need to consider recharging
times and battery capacity.

See: http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/photo-weddings.htm  Good luck!

Ron H