On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 15:07:34 +1300 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(nikon-digest) wrote:

>Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 08:53:54 -0500
>From: "Don Ferrario" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: "pro"-models and pop-up flash [24] [7]
>
>Tom:  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding
>is that any SLR with a pop-up flash uses mirrors in the viewfinder
>instead of a true prism.  That makes the finder less bright, and
>leaves room for very slight misalignment which would cause
>focus errors.  Of course, with autofocus, none of that may be
>critical.  The more expensive models have solid glass prisms
>in the viewfinder.  With a prism, there isn't room for the pop-up
>flash to be folded.
>
>don ferrario
>http://www.epix.net/~ferrario

No, it is quite possible to use a glass prism and retain a pop-up flash. I'm
pretty sure the F70 has a glass prism, and it is only on cheap cameras that
non-glass prisms are used.

The prevailing opinion is both that the pop-up flash will reduce the prism
strength and weaken the camera body, and also that pro's are not likely to find
much use for the low guide number pop-up flashes.  The new Minolta pro camera
(9xi?) does have a pop-up flash, though.