Hi Glenn & fellow Nikon users,

  Here's something that might interest you.

>I think the FM2 has a titanium shutter while the FM2N has an
>aluminum shutter.  I always assumed this was a cost-cutting

  That's not exactly true.  In the Appendix of the Nikon Compendium, the
FM2N's shutter construction is written as Titanium.  And I can confirm this
as I once owned a FM2N (as denoted by the letter "n: in front of the serial
number) that had the honey comb patterned titanium shutter.  Although I was
not the original owner, I doubt the owner before me would change the shutter
to a Titanium one  .

  The difference between the FM2 and FM2N is that in the former, the sync
speed is 1/200 sec. while the FM2N has a sync speed of 1/250 sec.  Not that
that matters much....

>change but don't know that for a fact.  Does anyone know?

  I suppose its a combination of factors.  The later FM2Ns is said to use
the F801 shutter blinds.  This could be because (a) Titanium shutters become
increasingly too expensive to manufacture w/o increasing the price of FM2N,
(b) The F801 shutter blinds are lighter and does not jam as easily under
adverse conditions (or so some users tell me), and (c) after Nikon stopped
the production of the F801/s, there was an abundence of shutter blinds.

Regards,
Deric Soh.