Hi,

my son being eight months old now, I start having some experience in the
field. The results I liked the best were taken with a 85 mm 1.8 (the old
MF one) , indirect flash (directly towards the ceiling: gives a very
nice lighting, IMO) and Fuji NPH 400 as film. The latter film is quite
soft and gives nice skin tones. The speed helps also. With a 100 ISO
film, indirect flash would be more difficult. Recently, I was short on
NPH and shot a roll of Royal Gold 400. Quite good as well. Standard
amateur films tend to have higher contrast and more vivid colours (not
always accurate), which are not that nice for portraits, again IMO.
For outdoors pictures, try Fuji Reala.

Nicolas.