> I don't want to re-run the debate about Nikon reps. However, while discussing the
>pros and
> cons of various lens combinations, the Nikon representative here (for a mini photo
>show) was
> adamant that the quality of the Nikkor 20-35 f2.8 zoom was equivalent to the relevant
> primes, e.g., 20mm f2.8 and 24 mm f2.8.

I have no experience with the zoom but there is a clear area were fixed
lenses are superior: they focus closer and permit nice close-distant
landscape pictures (if you see what I mean).
If all you want is a couple of wide angles for nature and landscape
photography, I think it is cheaper, better and more convenient to get
fixed focal lengths. I really believe the zoom is a typical PJ lens.

Nicolas.