Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 21:56:11 +0000 (WET)
From: Thomas Heissel Dahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "pro"-models and pop-up flash [24]

Dear Digest-readers,

I am going to buy a new body to supplement my old,
reliable FE2. I do not need 117 fancy exposure programs,
but I do need the following: Autofocus, compatibility
with Series E lenses, manual override of everything(!),
build-in flash, flah sync 1/250 (as the FE2) or better,
spotmetering, exposure compensation, plus of course the
usual roughness that makes the Nikon a perfect blunt weapon.
My primary use will be shooting people interactions, children,
etc in all climates and weather conditions
with the option of using fill- flash. I do not intent to carry a
camera with a mounted flash with me everywhere.

As far as I can see, I will have to go for the F90/F4 or
the F70, neither having all that I want.. Is the F70 the best
choice if I really want pop-up flash? Are there any arguments
against the pop-up?

Does anyone have good advice/suggestions? And more generally:
Why does none of the "pro"-models have pop-up flash?

Thomas

Thomas,

The pro cameras do not have the built-in flash for several reasons:

Lack of sufficient power for many shots
Flash too close to lens, causing red-eye

The F4 is discintinued. The F90s or the N70 are probably the best bets for
most people these days. However, you required compatibility with E series
lenses represents a problem. No camera is autofocus with these lenses. I do
not know about the N70 and spotmetering.

Hope this helps.

Colin
Colin and Marie Povey