I'm no pro, but it sounds like your background flash (with its white
background) is causing the TTL sensor in your camera to shorten the flashes
of the TTLed flashes (the SB26 & 28).  TTL flash duration is determined by
the amount of light hitting the TTL sensor "at" the film plane. The flashes
fire until  the correct amount of light is detected for your settings, then
the flashes stop firing.  If that "correct" amount comes from another light
source, the TTLed flashes will still be shut down.

Don't know what your background slave flash setting was, so this is just a
guess. Perhaps others more knowledgeable will provide you with a more
accurate answer than my guess