The best lens for baby portraits are the ones that get you the image you
want or at least the ones you already own or can afford to buy.  I have
shot my 17 month old with a 24-50mm f/3.3-45, 85mm 1.8, 28-70mm f/2.8, and
80-200mm f/2.8.  For actual posed portraits, I mainly use the 85mm.  This
gives enough working distance without being too far away.

As for film, my studio flash is powerful enough to use Fuji NPS.  With
lesser light, I use Fuji NPH.  But the best portraits seem to be on Fuji
Velvia.  I like the warm tones and it makes the splashes of color in the
image pop.  Depend on what effect your going for.  The NPS and Velvia are
worlds apart but work as I want them for the intended situations.