<<I had my F5 for a month now, and I have gone through 4-5 sets of
batteries, putting in brand new ones every time. I have only taken 6-8
rolls in total. While it is true that I leave the camera on when I am just
walking for hours, I didn't think there would be a big drain if the camera
is ON but not in use.
With slightly cold temperature, like 32 F, the camera batteries just give
up.

*BIG SNIP*

Has anyone seen a problem with (a recent serial#) F5 draining the
batteries?>>

Try some GOOD quality batteries first.  Get the best you can find in brand
names you recognize.  Most of the major manufacturers make alkalines for
photo use.  My F5 usually gets about 18 rolls out of a set of AA's and
that's while driving around the 80-200 f/2.8 ED.  If that doesn't do the
trick, then your F5 may have an electrical problem.