G'day Kurt & Fellow Nikon Users

>ring.  Sorry about the lengthly description, but  I hope someone can
>recognize if this is an AI, AIS or something else type of lens.  It seems

  From what I know, all Series E lenses are AI-S lenses.  All AI-S lenses
(that has linear aperture mechanism) can be distinguished from their maximum
aperture value (painted in orange) as well as a milled semi-circular notch
in the bayonet flange (rear element).

  My Nikon Compendium states that "With exception of the 35mm, 50mm and
100mm lenses, which only had single coatings, all the individual elements of
the others were multi-coated".  Indeed, the NIC coating on the 75-150/3.5
Series E zoom was "so good that it would have fitted perfectly into the
Nikkor programme".

>mount.  Would this  focal length and lens be suitable to reverse if I want
>to try some macro work?  I do not currently have any macro/micro lenses and

  Certainly!  Prior to getting my AF-D 105/2.8 Micro, I reverse mounted my
50/1.8 (I had both the series E and  later models) and use it extensively
for close up shots.  Only problem with it was that if you're out and about
in the woods, its difficult to get close to the subject and/or excessive
subject movement.  But if you're doing macro shots of inanimate objects,
reverse mounting a 50mm is economical and results are quite good.  One note,
do stop down.  Using f/1.8, you'll get a incredibly shallow DOF that the
picture might seem out of focus.  I usually use f/5.6 to f/11 for macros.

  A note on my 50/1.8 series E lens.  Although it says so on the lens, it is
practically the same as a latter non-series E lens.  The barrel and bayonet
flange's made of metal and (I suspect) it's multi coated as the colour of
the coating is different (more colours) from other series E primes.  I
picked it up for under NZ$80.  The quallity of the pictures taken were
acceptable though nothing to shout about.

  You'll find that reverse mounting works on any lens with a focal length
less between 18mm (I've never gone wider than 18mm and would like to hear
from others who have) and 100mm.

>2)  If I purchase the lens, can it be used on my N70 in a normal fashion
>for those rare occasions I might want to go totally manual with a 50mm

  Sure you can use it on your F/N70 or any other AF Nikon cameras (maybe
except F3AF).  And you won't have to go totally manual.  The F/N70 has a
digital focus indication in the viewfinder (as shown by either 2 arrows ><
or a circle o in the focus indicator).  This could be useful as the F/N70
does not have a split screen.

>prime?  What type of optical performance might I expect from this model
>lens if it can be used on my N70?

  Same as if you use it on any other model of Nikon cameras.  hiak hiak hiak.

  Okay, seriously, due to being single coated, you might find it to be more
flare-y than other 50mm.  So, don't expect much if you're shooting into the
sun or with strong backlit subjects.  My personal view, if you do not need
the benefits of AI-S, you might look at the 50/2 which is said to perform
quite well (at least better than the series E) even in close ups.  Or if you
have a few extra dollars, go for the non series E 50/1.8 or even the AF
50/1.8 N (which is under US$90 new, you might find one for under $50 used
plus the advantage of AF).

  Hope that helped.  Cheers!

Regards,
Deric Soh.