The Nikon polarizers are oversize to prevent image cutoff.  The normal size
lens hood will not fit the polarizer and the  special lens hoods for the
polarizer will not fit anything else.   All normal filters have the same
size male and female screw mounts and the custom Nikon lens hood is designed
with allowance for a filter.

The HN-12 comes in two sections.  You use one section for wide angle lenses
and both sections for longer focal lengths.  The system works great but you
do have to buy and carry multiple hoods.   You could also go the step-up
ring route and use a larger standard size polarizer but you would then have
to find an appropriate hood.