Does anyone know from experience or "official" sources whether lithium AA's
can be used in the SB-23?

FWIW . . . already owning an SB-26, I chose the SB-23 over the SB-22s for a
compact fill flash partly because of its smaller size and low price ($83 grey
market) but also because the battery cover on the SB-22s is not attached to
the body of the flash. I'd hate to drop it in a dark meeting hall or watch the
wind blow it over a cliff while changing batteries.

Finally, it's a shame that the SU-4 is apparently usable only to control a
second flash, rather than to control the main flash - otherwise it would be a
nice and inexpensive wireless relacement for the SC-17.

Bill Boyle