>>cons of various lens combinations, the Nikon representative here (for a
>mini photo show) was
>>adamant that the quality of the Nikkor 20-35 f2.8 zoom was equivalent to
>the relevant
>>primes, e.g., 20mm f2.8 and 24 mm f2.8.

I have the 24mm AI f/2.8, and it does a fine job, but I can't tell the
difference between shots with that lens and my 20-35.  In fact, if I had to
choose which was better, I would say the 20-35.  It seems a bit
contrastier, and the colors are a little brighter.  Perhaps the
multicoating on the 24 has worn down?  But in any case, I would say they
are at least equal.

>Of course, as a salesperson first and foremost, he's trying to fish you
>for the extra money.  But having said that, the cost of purchasing a 20/2.8,
>24/2.8, 28/2.8 and 35/2 or 35/2.8 would come close (if not more) to the
>price of the 20-35/2.8, eh.  Also, no matter how fast you are, I doubt you
>can change lenses faster than you can zoom a lens.  So, I suppose he's
>trying to introduce to you a top-quality lens that will (a) save space, (b)
>produce top quality pics and (c) feel as good in your hands as it is capable
>of taking top quality pictures.

Yeah, but really, I don't know too many people who would buy and carry the
20, 24, 28, and 35 in lieu of the 20-35.  I think most would opt for a 20
and 28, or 24 and 35.  Of course, there are those folks who like carrying
around heaps of lenses.  As for ease of use, yes, it is much easier to zoom
than change lenses or very quickly move forward or back.  As for saving
space, I find that not to be the case, though.  If I did carry two primes,
such as the 24 and 35, it seems like they would be easier to carry within
the confines of a camera bag, rather than the big honking 20-35 with that
crazy lens hood.
Personal preference on this one.  If it boils down to quality, the
difference is negligible.  Personally, I like to carry the 20-35, crazy
lens hood and all, and complement that with the 80-200 2.8.

Cheers,

Ed Kaspar

http://www.hostess.com/edwardk/index.html
Ed's Photos of Japan
Photos of traditional Japan, including free
wallpaper downloads and virtual postcards