I have two suggestions for you, Robert, before you take the camera back to
the store:
1.    Buy lithium batteries - I know, very expensive, but not relative to
the equipment you're using. Also, they will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer than
others; you'll recoupe your cost in no time. I have run up to about 100
rolls of 36 on a single set of liths.
2.    Set your custom function #15 (Time delay for auto meter-switch-off) to
4 seconds (default is 8). This can add quite a bit to your battery
longevity.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:05:06 -0500
>From: Robert Body <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: F5 draining batteries [5]
>
>I had my F5 for a month now, and I have gone through 4-5 sets of batteries,
putting in brand new ones every time. I have only taken 6-8 rolls in total.
While it is true that I leave the camera on when I am just walking for
hours, I didn't think there would be a big drain if the camera is ON but not
in use.
>With slightly cold temperature, like 32 F, the camera batteries just give
up.

>Today the indicator was showing full battery power when I started taking
pictures. [batteries have been in the camera for a while]. Within an hour,
and 10-15 pictures later [but camera was ON all the time], I saw the camera
power drop to half, and then the battery sign was blinking and the camera
would not take any more pictures. The temperature was close to 32 F. But
this is not cold. -20 F is cold. I put in new batteries, and all was fine. I
am using Alkalines.

>So, I see 3 causes
> 1) battery drainage Nikon problem - but this problem has been known for a
long time and should have been fixed. My serial # is 3114130, bought 1 month
ago.
> 2) battery drainage when camera ON but not used - isn't this really 1) ?
> 3) crap batteries. These I bought from the camera store, they have a less
known name. I should try Energizer/Panasonic/Duracell perhaps? I have only
used this one brand since I bought the camera.