Well, the rumours mill can be shut down because Nikon USA has
announced the F100 on its website, available, incredibly, in January
1999.  Nice picture of the camera. From the front, it Looks somewhat like
a slightly smaller version of the F5.

Some specs:

 -- 5 selectable AF areas (with super-imposed red LED indicating which
area is active with optional screens).

-- 4.5 fps (5 fps with optional booster).

-- "fastest" AF (???) thanks to improved chip/software.

-- 10 segment 3D matrix meter, CW and spot meters (sorry,no color
meter?).

-- same flash metering as F5 and N90s.

-- tons of user programmable features.

Looks like a very nice camera, but I don't think I'll be upgrading from my
N90s any time soon.

alan