I've been asked by my sister for a Christmas gift suggestion for my 11
year-old.  He's beyond the age of getting tons of toys--they'd like to
get him something more lasting for a gift, and thought of camera
equipment for him.  He's been using an N50 for a year now, and does
quite well with it.  He's got a 28-105 "normal" lens and flash available
to him now, so I thought the next most logical thing, hopefully without
overwhelming him, would be a longer lens.  Considerations from my
perspective are that he's still learning, I don't want him to be
responsible for something irreplaceable if it gets dropped, and I don't
want to impose too greatly on the family's generosity.  I initially
thought of the Nikkor 80-200 (the 4.5-5.6D version), which is under $175
locally.  Another suggestion that was made was the Sigma 70-210 3.5-5.6
UC II, which is about $150.  Looking at a copy of the "Photo Zone"
archive that I printed off before it got deleted from the web site, the
Nikkor looks to have slightly better glass, but not remarkably so, while
the build quality of the Sigma is rated a little better.  I handled both
at a local store, and the Nikkor definitely felt more plasticy.  The
Sigma also seemed to AF a bit more quickly.

Any opinions of either of these, or is there anything else you'd suggest
considering?

Bill