Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:39:41 +0100
From: Filip Hajny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Nikkor 100-300/5.6 [v04.n135/2]

Hi!

Anybody has any experience with the Nikkor 100-300/5.6 AIS?
I have searched all through the Internet, including the mail
list archives and it looks like a really good zoom (to go
with my FE). I'd be using it mostly for my travels to
distant countries - sometimes it's safer to get pictures
from a distance.

However, is it possibly to use it at 5.6, or is it necessary
to stop down (as usual with most lenses) to get a good
performance? Also, is it possibly to use it without a
tripod?

I've been offered a used one for about $500. Thanks for any
help...
<<<
I have one.  It is a good sharp lens.   It operates with a single ring
which is nice.  It has a modest "macro" setting, but this is no
replacement for the 105mm f2.8 lens.

I seldom use it because I now own the 300mm f4.  I found that I usually
set the zoom lens at the 300mm focal length.  Thus, I gained nothing
from the zoom but lost a whole stop.  The extra speed of the 300mm f4
makes a lot of difference in the number of shots that I could make.

I used the zoom a few times with a 2x converter.  The resulting
combination is very hard to focus.

Jim