This is a repeat of what I sent to Robert via email.  It might be of use to
others, however, so I will post it here in the open.

I have had my F5 for about 6 weeks.  I initially loaded it with alkalines
just to see how many rolls I would get.  I have shot 12 rolls (36 exposures)
and am still on the same set.  I have a set of lithiums and another set of
alkalines I carry in my bag in anticipation of the alkalines in the camera
dying, but this has not happened yet.

Some things I do:

Is it important to turn the camera off when not in use?  Don't know, but I
do.  In fact, I have developed the habit - and it is a habit so I don't
think about it - of turning the camera off even if I won't shoot a picture
for several minutes.  I have no problems with quickly turning the camera on
for a shot(s), leaving it on for brief periods, then turning it off.  I
primarily use my 80-200/2.8, with autofocus, so the camera is having to move
some glass.  I also have the viewfinder display set at the default of 8
seconds (I have read of others setting it at 4 secs, but I have had no
problems with 8).

One thing I do is use manual rewind.  How much alkaline power this conserves
I can't say, but I'd be willing to bet it saves a lot.  However, I have used
auto-rewind on four of 12 rolls.

I have shot on the Oregon Coast and Las Vegas in the last 6 weeks (lows in
the mid 40s in both places), so the low temps haven't been what you
describe.  This also makes a difference, but probably doesn't account for
your severe battery drainage.

I also did not use the camera for 3 weeks, and unloaded the batteries from
the holder just to be safe.  Reloaded them this past week and shot three
rolls, no problems.

Lastly, I use Energizer Photo alkalines (the package says these are long
life alkalines designed for use in modern cameras and other electronic
devices).  Wal-mart sells these in packages of 4 for something like $2.50
(haven't bought any in 6 weeks so I don't quite remember the price).  I'd
have to say they work.

The only drawback to alkalines so far for me is the weight.  I plan on doing
some shooting this weekend in colder weather, and will see how they behave.
I have my lithiums just in case.

Rick Reeves
Las Vegas